Monday, June 18, 2012

Somebody call 9-1-1


Life can often seem like one emergency after the other.  As a homeschool mom who spends LOTS of time with her kids, there are days I feel like I spend most of that time putting out fires or as I like to say "herding cats".  Honestly though, what constitutes an "emergency"? Are my days filled with real or perceived emergencies?  If you think about it, it's really determined by my perspective.

Think of the last time you got stressed out over something.  Was it really an emergency?  If I'm honest with myself, probably not.  There really are very few true emergencies in life.  So I have ten things on my to-do list today.  What's the worst that will happen if it doesn't all get done?  I've had "mop kitchen floor" on my list for two weeks now.  It hasn't gotten done and to my knowledge nothing terrible has happened as a result.  I'll try to get to it today...I said try, but if I don't, I'm fairly certain the world will not stop spinning or fall of its axis.  Life will go on.  

Why is this important?  How do you respond when you feel stressed and pressured to get things done?  If you're like me you probably get more easily frustrated with your family because they don't feel the same sense of urgency you're feeling (!) and as a result are not moving near as quickly as you need them too!  Ever felt that way? Is what you're trying to accomplish at that moment worth snapping at your kids over? How we handle stress and behave under pressure is how our kids will respond to similar situations.  Talk about a reality check.

So the next time you're feeling stressed and tempted to be a less than happy mommy, stop and ask yourself if what you're facing really is an emergency.  If it is, call 9-1-1.  If it's not, stop, breath and ask the LORD for the strength you need to handle the moments with grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to let me know you're reading! Leave me a link and I'll visit you.

Enjoy this post? Check these out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails