Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup OR how to pretend it's fall in Texas

I mentioned before that fall is a bit elusive here in Texas. The calendar says it's late October, but the temperature is still hitting the high 80's. Nonetheless, I will continue to pretend it's fall...even while wearing shorts and flip-flops.

In honor of those who are truly experiencing a change in the seasons, here's an amazing recipe for Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup. It's on the menu tonight with dark pumpernickel and salad. Don't even ask for the nutrition information or fat content. Forget it. If you have to ask, you shouldn't be eating it. Of course my 11 year old had to add, "What would Bob and Jillian say if they saw this much butter Mom?" I don't care what they'd say Mr. Smartypants! I'm not inviting them to dinner!

Cream Chicken and Wild Rice Soup (Serves 8)

INGREDIENTS:
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
2 cooked, boneless chicken breasts, shredded
1 (4.5 oz) package quick cooking wild rice with seasoning packet
onion, chopped fine (however much you like...I don't measure these things!)
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
sliced portabello mushrooms
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup butter, divided
2 cups heavy cream (or substitute 1/2 and 1/2 or milk depending on the fat content you want, or if Bob and Jillian happen to be coming for dinner just use water!)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Combine broth, water and chicken and bring to a boil. Stir in rice, reserving seasoning packet. Cover and remove from heat.

2. Combine salt, pepper and flour in a small bowl. Set aside.

3. Saute onion, garlic and mushrooms in a small amount of butter until tender. Set aside.

4. Melt MORE butter over medium heat. Stir in contents of rice seasoning packet until bubbly. Reduce heat to low and stir in flour mixture one tablespoon at a time to form a roux. Cook flour well...you don't want that nasty pasty flour taste. Yuck! Whisk in cream (or milk) a little at a time until smooth. Cook until thickened.

5. Stir cream mixture into broth/rice/chicken mixture. Add onion, garlic and mushroom mixture to the pot. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes.

Get your bread ready for dunkin'! Oh my, my, my that's tasty stuff!

UPDATE: Mike is not a huge soup fan, but he couldn't stop saying "This is the BEST soup I've ever eaten!" as he ate two big bowls! Guess it's a keeper.

1 comment:

  1. Yummo! I'm going to try it this weekend. I love a good soup recipe! Lisa~

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to let me know you're reading! Leave me a link and I'll visit you.

Enjoy this post? Check these out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails