Monday, December 30, 2013

Free decorating!

Christmas around here was spent sipping Tylenol cold meds with a raspberry Emergen-C chaser. It started a few days before Christmas, with a different person getting sick each day.  Sort of became a game of "who's next?"  Not exactly how we'd planned it, but actually a nice relaxing week.  At one point I realized I had been in my jammies and sweats for about five days straight. Despite the sickies, sweet memories were made.

Two days after Christmas hubby got an extra burst of energy and started taking down the Christmas tree.  Far be it from me to stop him if he wants to tackle that project!  After getting all the Christmas merriment put away, the house always looks so bare.  I look at it as a great time to re-decorate...or what I call "free decorate".  I took all the decorations from our two living spaces, spread them out on the dining room table and started re-decorating. Moving things to new places gives the space a fresh feeling and I didn't have to spend a dime.  I love that!

Here are a few pics of the mantel space.  It's my favorite to decorate, but with 20 foot ceilings in this space, it offers a bit of a challenge.  If things are too small they'll get lost, so it's important to balance them out with larger items that draw the eye vertically.  


The lighting wasn't great in this picture, but it gives you an idea of the arrangement.  The large framed painting is one I had painted for Mike of his favorite place on earth, the Sawtooth Mountains.  It's where he proposed to me many moons ago.  The pussy willow branches I got for a dollar at a yard sale.  I love the texture they add to the space. Layering items brings depth to the arrangement.  Some people prefer a symmetrical arrangement...guess I'm a bit more eclectic.  That and the fact that I don't have two of everything to make it match.  Comes from shopping thrift stores and yard sales.  You just never know what you'll find!


It's not a very large mantel, but I do love the molding and trim work.  And I love flipping a switch to make instant fire.  The perfect spot for sipping my morning coffee.


I've collected old books over the years from yard and estate sales.  I just love the look and smell of them.  The green one on top has a copyright of 1896. The cross was a gift from one of my sweet boys so I love putting it center stage whenever I can.


Something about old books just feels cozy.  I've also started collecting things with the letter S for our last name.  It's fun to hunt for them.  The more eclectic the better! Remember the zebra print one I used in the laundry room makeover?


Many people ask about the vinyl lettering I have around the house.  My secret? Dollar Tree! Yep.  A beautiful reminder for just a buck.  What's not to love?!?  

Inside Christmas decorations are down, but the outside lights?  That may have to wait until things thaw out around here...say May?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to let me know you're reading! Leave me a link and I'll visit you.

Enjoy this post? Check these out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails