Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Valentine's mantel ideas

One of my favorite Pinterest boards is my collection of mantel spaces. Decorating the mantel gives a wonderful focal point to the room and is a fun way to change things up for different seasons and holidays.  A fireplace WITH a mantel was at the top of my list during our recent house hunt.  Wish granted!


For Valentine's Emma and I chose a color palette of pink and sea foam blue with a splash of red.  The first thing I like to do before heading to the store is "shop my house" for items I already have.  Think outside the box on this one. Look for items you might be using in another room and temporarily repurpose them for your mantel decor. I already had the mirror.  That thing has been used in every single room in every single house we've owned for the past 20 years.  It has served us well.  We also already had the red votive holders, figurines, glass vases, blue canning jars and pink rose petals.  Free decorating!

Emma decided she wanted to create something fun...something a bit geometric and creative.  We found paint chips in the colors we wanted (free!) and she set to creating, taping them down on the mirror once she decided her masterpiece was complete.  I printed off the L-0-V-E lettering and added the bit of ribbon down the center.  Cost of the whole mirror project - $2 for the ribbon.


Once we figured out what we already had, we hit Dollar Tree and Wal-Mart for a few more things.  We picked up the ribbon, hearts on a stick, sticky hearts, candy hearts and glass beads and headed home to put it all together.  We had such fun creating it together and are excited with how it turned out.  Emma looks at it daily and says how much she loves it!  She is a girl after my own heart. 



We're anxiously awaiting the arrival of warmer weather so I think our next redo will be spring inspired.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to let me know you're reading! Leave me a link and I'll visit you.

Enjoy this post? Check these out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails