Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Starbucks iced mocha knock-off

I love Starbucks...I really, really do. Their coffee makes me smile. Their prices do not. My favorite grande, non-fat, light whip iced mocha sets me back a whoppin' $5.50. That's two gallons of milk for the brood of always hungry kids that live at my house.

In an effort to indulge my sweet tooth while saving my budget, I've come up with my own recipe. I hesitate to toot my own horn, but it is after all my blog...so I will! These are, dare I say it, better than Starbucks!  I love them on a hot afternoon and since pretty much every afternoon in Texas is hot, I make them a LOT. Pardon me while I take a sip....aaahhhh.

Here's the "not so secret, not at all scientific" recipe. Remember, I don't measure things people.

Espresso strength coffee, about 2 shots, cooled (has to be cooled so your ice won't melt)
milk
1/2 & 1/2
chocolate syrup
sugar

In a blender place coffee, chocolate syrup, smidgen of sugar and enough milk and 1/2 and 1/2 to make it just the right color...meaning whatever color you like your coffee! You can skip the half and half and just use milk, but it won't be quite as decadent.

Blend and pour over ice. Blending is important to get the bit of froth on top. Simply stirring won't give you the right taste. Don't ask me why...it just doesn't. Top with homemade whipping cream (please, for the love of good coffee, DON'T use Cool Whip!) and drizzle with chocolate syrup.

Mmmmm...so tasty! Knowing it costs me pennies on the dollar makes it even more delightful.



3 comments:

  1. You and your coffee really make me laugh! If I was a coffee drinker I'd try this. I may make it sometime for one of my guests. Love it!

    But you have inspired me to try to figure out how to make my own Starbuck's Double Chocolate Chip Frapaccino. LOL! Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! Thanks for the recipe. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya, with the price of a Starbucks coffee. What use to be a 3x a week treat is a once a month treat. I too have learned to make tasty coffee at home. Great coffee post =)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to let me know you're reading! Leave me a link and I'll visit you.

Enjoy this post? Check these out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails