Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Socialization - we're OK, really we are

If you're a homeschooler, the mere mention of "socialization" makes you laugh or cry, depending on your mood on any given day. I could really get on my soapbox here, but I'll save that for a post when I'm feeling feisty...today I find the whole notion rather comical.

One of the things we hear frequently from those outside the homeschool community is "What about socialization?" My question exactly! What about it? What is the big deal? What are people so worried about? When I was a kid I use to get in trouble for talking at school. (Yes, I realize that doesn't surprise many of you!) If talking to our friends at school is "socialization" then it stands to reason that public school kids get in trouble for being social. And yet society thinks the only way to be socialized is to go to school. Hu??? Is anyone else confused by that circular thinking?

I'm chuckling today about the whole idea because we spent the morning at the pool with a boatload of kids playing together for over two hours. Ages four to 14, everyone played, laughed and splashed around together. That looks a whole lot like socialization to me. Then we hurried home to change clothes, drop two kids off at one friend's house and pick up another to bring back home with us. No, my kids are not lacking in social skills, or for kids to hang out with. In fact, truth be told, there aren't enough hours in the day for all the field trips, WII tournaments, water fights and tea parties.

So if you're worried about homeschoolers not being "socialized", let me put your mind at ease. We're OK...really.

1 comment:

I love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to let me know you're reading! Leave me a link and I'll visit you.

Enjoy this post? Check these out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails