Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Fruit of the Spirit - it's all in there

Lord, give me patience..and please hurry!

Ever found yourself uttering those words? I have. Even as recently as 6:00 a.m. this morning. As I mumbled this sleepy prayer I thought, "I've already been given patience. It's my job to exercise it." OK, now you know that didn't come from my 6:00 a.m. coffee deprived brain, so I'd better pay attention.

But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, PATIENCE, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Here there is no conflict with the law. Galatians 5:22-23

When we become followers of Christ, we are given the gift of his Holy Spirit. Along with that gift comes all the fruit of his Spirit as well. Each piece is given to each of us. He doesn't pick and choose what He will dole out, giving some to me and some to you. It's all there. A packaged deal. So my groggy early morning prayer for patience is much like asking for a new car when one is already sitting in my driveway (which it's not by the way). I'm asking for something I've already been given. I have to choose to walk in the fruit He's provided just like I have to choose to get in and drive that new car.

I already possess patience, so there's no need to pray for it. What I need to pray for is the strength to use what I have. Some days are certainly filled with many opportunities for practice (!), but as I seek to live by the power of His Holy Spirit, He enables me to use what He's given me. And I think He smiles when I do.

4 comments:

  1. We were just discussing this in school this morning. In fact, I wrote Gal 5:22-23 on the white board and gave them the assignment to memorize it. We also discussed the deeds of the flesh...a stark contrast. Great post! Very encouraging. Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, did I ever need this! This summer has been very different, althought it's been great! I have put the "screen time" rules in effect and it's going very well, and the chore list is being checked each morning...thanks for the great advice! The scripture this morning is being added to the checklist...

    ReplyDelete
  3. amen! the Lord continues to teach me to use patience every day. hopefully i will continue to learn.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to let me know you're reading! Leave me a link and I'll visit you.

Enjoy this post? Check these out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails