Wednesday, November 25, 2009

To bless or impress?

The purpose of hospitality is to bless, not impress.

Many of us will be hosting family and friends this week for Thanksgiving. Maybe we've spent hours already cooking and cleaning in anticipation of the big day. Have we stopped to think about WHY we're doing all we're doing? Do we want everyone to think we're great decorators? Immaculate housekeepers? The epitome of Martha Stewart and the Proverbs 31 woman rolled into one?

Well, if you've been to my house, you know none of that is the case! My house is never spotless for more than 30 seconds at a time and I decorate with what I have. As for Martha...she's highly overrated anyway.

While I have spent time cooking, cleaning and decorating the table this week, my end game is that my guests will be able to relax and enjoy one another's company and that I will be able to relax along with them. I want whomever visits our home to leave feeling blessed. This is not accomplished through fancy centerpieces or a perfectly executed meal, but by giving guests my time and full attention. A bit of organization and preparation beforehand allows me to do that and not spend every minute of Thanksgiving in the kitchen.

As The Nester says, "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful." I'll add to that..."It doesn't have to be perfect to be a blessing."

1 comment:

  1. Ah, yes. Grace is so much more inviting than perfection!
    And I'm with you on the Martha opinion.
    *grin*

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to let me know you're reading! Leave me a link and I'll visit you.

Enjoy this post? Check these out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails