Thursday, January 29, 2009

Baby steps

Recovery from anything always seems to take longer than I would like. Must be the impatient part of my type A personality.

I remember after having each of my kids wanting to get back to normal much more quickly than I was actually able. Yes, I made the same mistake...four times. In my haste for normalcy I would attempt to get back to doing what I had done pre-pregnancy. I always paid for it the next day and usually ended up spending it back in bed. What can I say? I'm a bit of a hard head...those who know me stop nodding your heads!

Maybe I've learned a thing or two in dealing with my depression recovery. I want desperately to feel normal again, but I know it's going to take time. One thing I have not been able to do in the last six months is make a "to-do" list. Sure, there were things to do, I just didn't care whether they got done or not and had no motivation whatsoever to write them down, let alone check them off.

Today I made a "to-do" list with just three things on it. I know there were more things I could have added, but I'm trying to be realistic.

You know what? I was able to cross all three of them off. Unless you've dealt with depression, you probably don't realize what a big deal that is, but let me tell you - it's a big deal.

Tomorrow maybe I'll go for four, but I don't want to push it. Baby steps.

4 comments:

  1. That's great, Angela. Baby steps.
    You remain in my prayers.

    Love you,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angela! I found your blog by way of "Surviving Motherhood." I am once again so encouraged by reading a complete stranger's blog (just as I was when I started reading Karen's blog). Thanks so much for sharing your heart. It has caused me to give thanks to God for all His goodness.

    Baby steps are very important steps. I took many baby steps after dealing with depression too. "For I can do everything (like cross things off a to-do list)with the help of Christ who gives me the strength I need."

    ReplyDelete
  3. So proud of you, sister. I am praying. You are doing great! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to let me know you're reading! Leave me a link and I'll visit you.

Enjoy this post? Check these out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails