Sunday, August 3, 2008

School time!

School starts tomorrow...sort of. We're easing back into some semblance of a routine, be it ever so slowly. We are excited to get back into the swing of things. OK, I'm excited...the verdict is still out with some of my children. Hey, maybe we can work the Wii into our curriculum somehow.

Normally, the start of school would signal an imminent change in the weather is soon to follow. Not so in Texas. Gone are the days of fall football games in my favorite Boise State sweatshirt. I think I'd better find me a tank top instead. Now we'll be doing school in the morning and spend our afternoons hunkered down in front of an air conditioning vent. Such is life in the South I guess.

I spent some time yesterday buying new school supplies. Not that we really needed much. It's more the yearly tradition of it all. I love using newly sharpened pencils and the smell of crayons fresh out of the box...and no, I don't sniff the markers...well, maybe once.

That's one awesome thing about homeschooling - we don't have a long list of things to go out and buy that I will never get to see them use. We don't have the chore of shopping for new school clothes. My kids are perfectly content to wear the same shirt they wore yesterday...and the day before that...and the day before that. They have no idea what it means to keep up with the latest trends and feel no pressure to wear a certain brand.

Will they ever get to that point? I don't know...I hope not. In the meantime, I am enjoying the fact that WE get to decide when school begins and ends. WE decide when we need a day off. WE decide what we will study and for how long. WE get to decide what school supplies to purchase...if we want to buy #1 pencils instead of #2, by golly we can!

And no, I'm not a control freak (OK, maybe a little). I just like to be able to decide what is best for our family.

And that's all I have to say about that.


5 comments:

  1. Ang,
    Happy first day of homeschooling!
    We have always eased into a new year too, adding subjects as we go.
    This year Samuel begins his 9th grade
    year. We will begin with Geography next Monday and then add other subjects the next week.
    Our oldest will be in your neck of the woods tomorrow morning (DFW Airport) on his way to a deep sea fishing trip with my step-dad and b-i-l. I would appreciate prayers for him as he is flying on one of my sister's passes which means that he is stand-by. An adventure for him, but an adventure of faith for me as I trust the Lord to take care of him.
    Happy Day!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. yipeeeee!!! Happy first day! I love your post and it encouraged me as we start off our week. I liked what you said about the pencils. Last year at this time, it was boring old number 2 pencils as we prepared for private school. This year, we just picked the ones we thought were the cutest. :)

    -Linz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela,

    Back to school already??!! Wow! You're amazing. Freedom is a wonderful thing!

    I always loved the whole school supply shopping when I was a kid; that's a good idea to do it with my kids - whether we need it or not! :-) Thanks for the inspiration; it's what I've been looking for.

    Blessings,
    Dena

    P.S. How do you like Blogger?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes, yes, and yes. I love the freedom too! :)
    I pray that you're having a great first week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way about homeschooling. On our tax free weekend, I was so glad that we were not running around WalMart with a list of things needed for school. And my dd wears the same thing over and over, unless we are out in public. I quit buying a ton of clothes for her because of that. It's great! Hope your HS year is off to a great start!

    Laura :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to let me know you're reading! Leave me a link and I'll visit you.

Enjoy this post? Check these out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails