Thursday, June 5, 2008

Comfort zones and faith

A comfort zone. Each of us has one. Take a minute to make your comfort zone a real space. Four walls, a window or two and a door. Some are larger than others. Some are a bit newer than others, but we all have one.

Maybe you're just moving into yours. The boxes are still being unpacked and you're just settling in. As you look around, you begin to think you're going to like it there. You are in control of what happens in your new little space. You can control the temperature, who comes in and out and what the rules are going to be.

Maybe you've been in your comfort zone for awhile now. Yours is completely decorated. Everything is arranged just the way you like it. You are certainly in control of what goes on. Nothing happens there without your approval.

Or maybe you've been living in your comfort zone for so long you can't remember anything else. You can't ever remember NOT living there. The thought of leaving scares you to death. Nope. You are just fine where you are. No need to venture beyond those four walls.

Where ever we are in our comfort zones, we have something in common. Faith does not live there. Faith lives just over the threshold. It's only when we take that first step of faith outside of what we are clinging to that we will be able to walk fully in His perfect will for our lives. Many of us are not willing to risk it, so we stay tucked inside, content to stay the same.

Oftentimes we can't see what is outside our controlled little spaces and that scares us. One thing we do know is that we will not be able to control things just on the other side of that door. We will be forced into situations that may bring an uncertain outcome. We must trust or we will fail. That is the very definition of FAITH.

What is faith? It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things we cannot yet see. Hebrews 11:1

Walking by faith is not a cake walk, but a constant journey of trust. A journey that leads us to unknown places and causes us to do things we never thought possible. The awesome aspect of this journey is that the Lord is already there waiting, just over the threshold of our comfort zones. Just as He responded to Peter when Peter wanted to jump out of the boat during a storm, He says, "Come." Talk about getting out of your comfort zone!

He is saying the same thing to you and I - "Come! Step out of your comfortable place into all I have for you. I know it may be scary. I know there may be huge storms and giant mountains to climb, but I am with you, leading and guiding every step of the way. Just wait until you see the beauty that awaits you!"

Where are you today? Are you hiding behind the familiar, or are you jumping out of the boat into an awesome future the Lord has for you?

3 comments:

  1. I have been out of my comfort zone numerous times and God is continually calling me to come to the next place. I have walked with Christ since jr. high and right now my stomach is rolling with a bit of anxiety. Will I ever fully trust my God? He is and has been so faithful to me. Why do I still doubt? Where is my confidence? "Do not be terrified. Be strong and courageous because the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Oh my soul, believe the words of God.

    An honest answer from someone in the middle of this process. It is not as easy as it sounds.

    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  2. "but I am with you"
    And that makes all the difference!

    I don't know what the Lord has planned for me, but I can't wait to see the beauty that awaits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thoughts, Angela! God has stretched me so much outside of my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to let me know you're reading! Leave me a link and I'll visit you.

Enjoy this post? Check these out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails