Sunday, May 27, 2012

Homeschooling - it's a marathon


It's a marathon, not a sprint.

A good definition of life; an even better definition of homeschooling.  Each year is a new leg in the marathon and this leg is finally drawing to an end.  We're winding down the last few subjects and looking forward to summer break.  The kids and I have an ongoing discussion about who's more excited - mom or kids....while they strongly disagree, I'm pretty sure it's me.

This year has been about perseverance.  They've tackled some things they've not done before and seen them through until the end with (mostly) great attitudes.  Makes my mom heart glad.  We've worked on character and attitudes...things that can't necessarily be tested in the traditional sense, but will certainly be tested in the school of life.  They've struggled through situations and seen God at work.  They've learned first hand the meaning of ministry and setting healthy boundaries.  They've grown "in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and man" (Luke 2:52).  Academics aside, that's why we homeschool.

But homeschooling isn't just about the students.  Oh no!  I think there are times the teacher learns more than the kids.  In this case the teacher learned to persevere as well.  See, I'm a big picture thinker.  Please don't bother me with details.  Just ask Mike.  He's the detail guy in the relationship.  I come up with the ideas and he asks the questions.  I don't really care about the questions - I just want to jump in and make my idea happen.  With homeschooling, I can see the big picture of what I'd like us to accomplish in a given school year, but it's only by God's grace that I'm able to follow through with the details...with the every day, day in, day out stuff that makes up the big picture. Talk about stretching and learning perseverance.  Whew!

So as we near the end of another year, we may not be sprinting across the finish line, but as one of my kids likes to croon, "Every day I'm shufflin'".  We'll just keep moving, however slowly and I know years down the road we'll cross the finish line and be better for having run the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to let me know you're reading! Leave me a link and I'll visit you.

Enjoy this post? Check these out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails