Saturday, January 8, 2011

Seriously?

I had one of those parenting moments the other day. You know the ones that make you go "Seriously??? What were you thinking?". Whether not to drink from the milk jug, or how to show compassion and put others before themselves, there are times I look at my kids and wonder if they're getting anything we're trying to teach them.

Then there are the times they blow me away with their maturity - when I see them offering encouragement to a friend on the team who's off their game, or standing up for their siblings in the face of criticism. Those are the things I try to remember when I catch them hiding the casserole in their napkin, or playing on the roof. Those little glimpses give me hope. My prayer is that those glimpses become more of a constant as I watch them grow physically, emotionally and spiritually.

As I
stood at my sudsy alter, I wondered if that's how the LORD views me. Does He ever look at me and ask, "Seriously??? What were you thinking?"? Thankfully He knows what I'm thinking; He doesn't even have to ask. He knows my motivation for saying and doing things. He knows me better than I know myself. I'm sure there are times He shakes His head at His little girl and wonders if I'll ever grow up.

I'm just thankful He doesn't give up on me...just like I won't give up on my kids...even when they drink straight out of the milk carton, or hide the casserole in their napkin.

Their growing up daily and hopefully, so am I.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to let me know you're reading! Leave me a link and I'll visit you.

Enjoy this post? Check these out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails