Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The secret to a clean house

After 19 years of marriage and four kids, I've finally figured out the secret to keeping my house clean. Surprisingly, the answer didn't come from one of the hundreds of books I've read on the subject. Nope, this one I figured out all on my own.

Now, if I were a salesman this is the point I would say, "Send me just $19.95 and I'll tell you what no one else has been able to figure out!" But since I'm feeling generous today (and I'm NOT a salesman!), I'll tell you for free. Aren't you excited?

Here it is - send all your kids away for the week and clean your house. I PROMISE it will stay clean longer than five minutes! There, don't you feel better? After years of looking for just the right system, you now have the answers you've been searching for.

After searching for the holy grail of home maintenance systems for years, I've discovered something important. I miss the endless piles of books scattered around the living room. I miss the crumbs on the counter. I miss the mountain of shoes by the back door. And dare I say it...I miss the noise. How often have I wished for just FIVE minutes of solitude in the midst of our daily routine? Now faced with three whole days of it, I find myself wishing for just five minutes of noise. Life's funny that way isn't it?

See the thing is behind each of those messes is a part of our family. Each shoe represents a child I love more than my life. Each crumb represents a healthy growing individual. Each book reminds me of their love of learning. And each laugh reminds me how blessed we are to share life together. There will be plenty of time for a clean and tidy home and I think it is something I'm not really looking forward to at this point. I'm learning this week to appreciate the messes and embrace them while I can.

I don't know how I'm going to get anything done today...it's just too quiet!

2 comments:

  1. Whew! You had me worried there for a second. You are so right. A clean house is nothing compared to a houseful of joyful children and a loving family. But I must admit, I have to send to boys outside to play for the day when I want to clean out their closet. They are waaay too attached to their junk. Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ang,
    Our house is shining right now as David and I have had the house to ourselves since Sunday. Of course, Ben and Bethany have been gone for the summer and we took Samuel to join Bethany for a week of Worldview Academy in Winston-Salem, Sunday afternoon.
    But tomorrow around 3:30 - the Southeast Worldview Academy staff team of 36 plus our Samuel will be here for dinner. That's right I am cooking for 39 people tomorrow night and I am a bit overwhelmed but cannot wait to have them in our home. Bethany and her staff girls will sleep here tomorrow night so I will enjoy some time with our daughter and get to know her new friends that she has been serving with since May.
    I haven't neglected your e-mail. David and I have had several long talks about raising Ben and Sam and now to get it all on paper.
    Hugs to you my friend!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to let me know you're reading! Leave me a link and I'll visit you.

Enjoy this post? Check these out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails